What You Tell Us...
“It's really a big 'thank you' for my slot on Pop-Up Submissions - I've agreed a 3 book deal with Head of Zeus! The confidence gained from the generally positive feedback gave me the impetus to submit to my agent. It's further evidence of the great value Litopia adds to the industry, particularly for relative newcomers. Thank you again and keep up the excellent work!”
“I just wanted to let you know that the feedback from Pop-Up Submissions undoubtedly played a large part in me eventually getting a 5 book deal from Ares/Head of Zeus. So thanks again. The experience was invaluable.”
“This was amazing! I'm super thankful to hear a little about what's going on inside the agent's mind when they see my pitch! Thank you so much!”
“I was on last week for another of my works-in-progress (Wolf Totem) and the feedback was brilliant. I've been thus inspired to a frenzy of revisions across the board. I'm looking forward to submitting again, when I've had a bit of an edit. Thank you!”
“I appreciate being able to go on the show with my submission. I have noted all the suggestions and will keep working. This show is very helpful to writers like myself who are trying to break into the business and feel a little lost along the way.”
“I learned a lot… I've already changed the working title based on the feedback of the participating agents and have already been through the opening pages a few times looking for ways to further enhance my story.”
Thanks for the valuable feedback - I would highly recommend any new writers putting their first 700 words in front of this panel of incredible honest people and critics! I didn't learn to read until I was almost an adult and I can tell you that the wise input of the litopians will give you the opportunity to know how to use your voice and your talent!
A Priority Pop-Up Submission will get your work onto the show in a matter of weeks, not months. It costs only $29.95 to make a Priority Submission: the best way to get timely feedback on your work with minimum delay.
Success in the publishing industry is often about strategic timing. With a Priority Submission, you can strike while the iron’s hot: test a new book concept without spending months writing the entire manuscript!
Priority submissions are not identified as such on the show. They are treated identically to non-priority submissions.
Check the box on the submission form below to make a Priority Submission.
Peter's Tips For A Winning Submission...
“Writers generally underestimate the importance of creating a memorable and distinctive title: something that right from the start sets your submission apart from the rest. We see too many submissions whose titles are simply dull.
Don’t assume that your agent or eventual publisher will be able to ‘come up with something’. That’s not their job – you are the wordsmith, and it’s up to you to impress us with your craft, from the title onwards.
My advice is to spend however long it takes to evolve a compelling title. Yes, it may take a few days, or even a few weeks. But however long it takes, it’s time well invested.”
“Like titles, blurbs are generally under-appreciated by writers, who often assume that their editor or publicist will dash something out before the book goes into production. That’s a huge missed opportunity! The writer knows their manuscript better than anyone, and they are in an ideal position to know how to pitch it to the reader.
On Pop-Ups, we ask you to supply 500 characters – not words – of blurb. That should be enough to whet our appetite: to make us sufficiently interested in your work that we want to spend time browsing the first few pages.”
“There is a natural tendency amongst writers to ‘write themselves in’ to their manuscript. It takes a little time for you to get to know your characters, the universe you’re creating, and so on.
But the reader is impatient! They want your story to hit them fully-formed. They will not wade through a few indifferent chapters before the story really gets into gear. If you don’t hook them in the first page or two, today's reader will simply disengage.
It’s the writer’s job to keep us turning the page. Show us that you know how to hold our attention. It’s an indispensable part of your craft.”
Make Your Submission Now!
Terms of Submission
We can only accept work for consideration on Pop-Up Submissions on the following conditions, no exceptions or waivers. If you send us your work, it means you accept these conditions.
Definitions: “You” means the person making the submission. “We” "Us" and "Our" means The Redhammer Management Ltd and anyone authorised to act on its behalf. “Work” means the writing and all accompanying material in any medium sent for inclusion in Pop-Up Submissions live events. “Litopia” and “Litopia Writers' Colony” are trading names of The Redhammer Management Ltd.
- You understand and accept that the Work may, at Our sole discretion, be included in Litopia's Pop-Up Submissions event, currently broadcast live on various internet platforms. The event will be recorded and permanently made available for public viewing. You agree that no royalties or fees of any sort whatsoever will be paid to You or other organization acting on your behalf.
- We shall not be obliged to make use of any Work You submit and shall not be liable for any consequential loss of publicity or enhancement of reputation or otherwise.
- No material will be returned. It is therefore essential for You to keep a copy.
- You must submit only Your own original work and You warrant that it does not infringe the copyright or any other rights of any third party.
- You must be the sole author of the Work. You warrant that you have obtained all necessary consents and permissions on behalf of all persons or entities contributing to any accompanying material You submit and are authorized by any such persons or entities to grant the rights set out in these terms and conditions.
- You will indemnify and keep Us, our presenters, guests and staff indemnified from and against all and any claims, costs, damages, expenses, actions suffered or incurred by Us arising out of any breach of the warranties You have given.
- Exclusion of liability. Under no circumstances will We or anyone acting on Our behalf, be liable for any loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract, defamation or otherwise, even if foreseeable. The exclusion specifically includes any alleged loss You may believe You have suffered as a result of making a submission to Us.This exclusion of liability therefore covers all liability for any of the following categories of loss or damage (whether such losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation (including defamation); (f) losses suffered by third parties; (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from Your use of Pop-Up Submissions regardless of the form of action.This clause does not affect Our liability for death or personal injury arising from Our negligence, nor Our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
- This agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and no other jurisdiction shall be applicable.