Reading, Not Drowning
The nature of reading is changing, and there is much uncertainty about the implications for writers and the publishing industry. Book sales are in general long-term decline, yet some areas (young adult fiction, for example) are growing. Perhaps onscreen reading is on the rise at the expense of printed books? Or possibly, as one of our chatroom stalwarts points out, Marshall McLuhan’s prediction that we are becoming a less literate and more visual society is happening with frightening rapidity?
Here to discuss this essential topic tonight are Graham Marks, Dave Bartram, Eve Harvey (our rapporteur from the chatroom) and Donna Ballman. And next time, why not you, too – we’d love to have you as a special guest in the chatroom! It kicks off at 8pm UK / 3pm EST every Friday here.[audio:lad/lad_120.mp3]
Your support keeps us going!
Other topics on tonight’s show include:
- Writers break the European Union Working Time Directive, should be prosecuted
- Welcome to Britain’s most expensive loaf
- The Queen’s English Society is dead in the water, innit
- GotWind Boots Power
- There is a very real possibility that the upas mean the entropy of narrative
- What do you plan to get done over the summer?
- Pout all you want, reviews in the ‘quality’ press, gigs at A-list LitFests and launch parties do not sell books
- Why do people value words so pitifully?
This week’s titles for the Commissioning Meeting are:
“Cad Metti, The Female Detective Strategist”
Harlan Page Halsey, 1839?-1898
“Drolls From Shadowland”
Joseph Henry Pearce 1856-
“Look! We Have Come Through!”
D. H. Lawrence 1885-1930
“The Call of the Beaver Patrol or, A Break in the Glacier”
V. T. Sherman
If you liked this show, please take this time to ReTweet it using Twitter (see the ReTweet button underneath) and share it with others. You may also want to follow us to stay up to date with all our shows. And please feel free to leave your comments below!
Photo by spakattacks
GIVE US A TITLE – GET A TITLE!
Join us next week in the chatroom and win another fabulous new title – in return for giving us a title for the show!